Starting today and running until Sunday, August 26, the America's Cup World Series will take place in San Francisco Bay. Watch the broadcast live from San Francisco here on redbull.com Thursday to Saturday at 14:50 - 15:50 PST (23:50 - 00:50 CET) and on Sunday at 12:15 - 12:45 PST (21:15 - 21:45 CET).
The America’s Cup World Series is a professional circuit that brings top-level racing to top international venues. The America's Cup is the oldest trophy in international sport. Originally designed in 1851 as a "friendly competition among nations," the contenders are currently the U.S., Italy, Sweden, Great Britain, New Zealand, France, China and South Korea. It is an extreme experience – cutting edge wing-sailed catamarans flying at speeds over 30 miles per hour, and a mix of fleet and match racing to test the abilities of the best sailing teams in the world.
There are two seasons of the AC World Series – the 2011-12 AC World Series concluded on July 1, 2012 in Newport, Rhode Island, and the 2012-13 AC World Series stops in San Francisco, Venice and Naples, concluding in May 2013 – prior to the beginning of the 34th America’s Cup events in San Francisco in July 2013. At the end of the each AC World Series circuit, a series champion is crowned based on their cumulative scores from each event.
The second AC World Series starts in San Francisco from August 21-26 and marks the first time the teams will race in the host city of the 34th America’s Cup. This is followed by a second San Francisco event in the first week of October.
The second season of the AC World Series also sees the challengers for the 34th America’s Cup collect points towards a Louis Vuitton Ranking which will confer an advantage at the beginning of the Louis Vuitton Cup in July 2013.
The first winner of the 2011-12 AC World Series was ORACLE TEAM USA – SPITHILL, who were crowned season champion at the final event in Newport, Rhode Island on July 1. Emirates Team New Zealand was second overall, with Artemis Racing third. While Spithill’s team was also top of the table in Fleet Racing, Terry Hutchinson’s Artemis Racing won the Match Racing for the season.
Short Facts / The America’s Cup in San Francisco:
- The 2012-2013 America’s Cup World Series kicks off in San Francisco from Tuesday, August 21 – Sunday, August 26.
- The AC Village will be located at Marina Green and is open from 10am through 6pm each day.
- Visitors will be able to view all of the racing action from the AC Village.
- There are ticketed seating areas and hosptality available.
- Practice racing begins on August 21, followed by Championship Racing from August 22-26.
- Race start times vary. Visitors should be on-site at least 30 minutes before listed start time:
•August 22-25 – 2:05 pm PDT
•August 26 – 11:45 am PDT
- Racing finishes around 4:00pm PDT each day except Sunday, August 26, which ends at 2:30pm PDT.
- San Francisco Bay Area boaters will have an unprecedented view of the 34th America’s Cup racing on the San Francisco Bay.
More Info: www.americascup.com