The 2011 AMA Supercross series rolled into Raiders Stadium in Oakland, California, for the first time in history this weekend, and despite falling rain and a nasty crash during qualifying, James Stewart put all the drama behind him to take a commanding lead in the main event, capturing his second win of 2011. Not only did Stewart win the race, but he also took the points lead over series rival Ryan Villopoto.
In the Supercross Lites class, 16-year-old German rider Ken Roczen was just one spot short of the podium, finishing a solid fourth in the main.
Supercross Qualifying Heats
- James Stewart grabbed the holeshot to kick off Supercross heat #1, leading every lap en route to a seemingly easy win.
- Stewart’s best lap of 43.948 seconds was the fastest of the day by a full second.
- Kyle Regal matched his qualifying effort from last week in L.A. with another strong fifth-place finish.
- Andrew Short (pictured below) put in another steady ride to finish heat #2 in the sixth spot, transferring directly to the main event.
Supercross Main Event
- When the gates dropped for the Supercross main event, Stewart jumped out to a top-five start and settled into second by the end of lap one.
- Looking smooth and steady in the challenging conditions, JS7 moved his way into the lead by lap number three.
- With the track continuing to break down, Stewart kept getting better and better, slowly building an insurmountable lead over the rest of the pack.
- By the wave of the checkers, James had led 18 laps en route to his second win of the series.
- Stewart’s win, and the 25 points that accompany it, propel him into first place in the championship standings (two points ahead of Villopoto).
- Shorty battled back from a nearly dead-last start to finish in the ninth spot.
- Stewart’s teammate Kyle Regal, whose speed is improving weekly in this, his rookie year, rode inside the top ten for much of the race before eventually crashing.
1. James Stewart
2. Chad Reed
3. Ryan Dungey
4. Ryan Villopoto
5. Brett Metcalfe
6. Trey Canard
7. Kevin Windham
8. Davi Millsaps
9. Andrew Short
10. Ivan Tedesco
Supercross Lites Qualifying Heats
- Last week’s Lites winner, Red Bull-backed TLD/Honda’s Cole Seely, qualified in the third spot out of Heat #1.
- Travis Baker finished just behind him in fourth to also qualify directly to the main.
- Ken Roczen battled up front with series points leader Josh Hansen and Eli Tomac, before eventually finishing third in heat #2.
Supercross Lites Main Event
- With intermittent rain beginning to deteriorate the Oakland circuit, Roczen (pictured below) got a great jump out of the gate to start the Lites main, rounding lap one in second.
- He then held tough inside the top three through the midway point, but a momentary slide-out in the muddy conditions forced him back to fourth, where he would eventually finish the race.
- Despite oftentimes being the fastest rider on the track at any given moment in the Supercross Lites division this season, Roczen’s fourth-place finish in Oakland was actually his best of the year. Look for the rookie to smooth out a bit with a few races under his belt. He will undoubtedly be winning races soon.
Supercross Lites Results
1. Broc Tickle
2. Josh Hansen
3. Eli Tomac
4. Ken Roczen
5. Tyla Rattray
6. Ryan Morais
7. Kyle Cunningham
8. Jimmy Decotis
9. Bruce Rutherford
10. Ryan Marmont
Follow @redbull on Twitter for up-to-the-minute news and information.
- More photos from the Oakland AMA Supercross event
- Cole Seely first and James Stewart second in Los Angeles
- Stewart takes the win in Phoenix