America’s Connor Fields kicked off the 2012 UCI BMX Supercross World Cup series in fine style with an impressive victory at the season opener in Chula Vista, Southern California.
The rider from Las Vegas was on fire all weekend, while Australia’s Sam Willoughby and America’s David Herman took the second and third spots respectively.
“I grew up on this track,” said Fields. “I started riding it in 2008, so I know it like the back of my hand now.”
The first day’s time-trial superfinal silver-medalist, 2008 Olympic champion Maris Strombergs, set the challenge for Fields early on by advancing half a bike length ahead, but he left himself open for attack on the first turn and was eventually forced to swallow a DNF.
“In the first turn, Maris left the door open and I just went through,” said Fields. “I was leading from that moment and I could not see or hear anything behind. I was concentrating on riding a smooth lap to the finish line. It is a great start to an important season, but there is a long way to go.”
Willoughby, meanwhile, was happy with the silver: “That’s three out of four times I’ve finished second in Chula Vista,” he said. “Three seconds is pretty good I guess. It was always going to be tough to beat Conner here, so I just tagged on the back of him and followed.”
In the Women’s competition, France’s Magalie Pottier claimed her first major Supercross victory after moving ahead of second-placed fellow countrywoman Laetitia Le Corguille and third-placed American Amanda Geving in her first-ever World Cup podium appearance.
“Two years ago I finished second. Now it is my first victory in the world cup,” said Pottier after the competition. “Last year I finished four, four, four - a lot of fours! I am so happy! The Chula Vista track is my favourite.”
The next stop on the UCI BMX Supercross tour will be Randaberg, Norway.
UCI BMX Supercross Chula Vista – Men’s results
1. Connor Fields (United States) 34.124
2. Sam Willoughby (Australia) 34.73
3. David Herman (United States) 35.002
4. Marc Willers (New Zealand) 35.153
5. Tory Nyhaug (Canada) 35.629
6. Twan Van Gendt (Netherlands) 35.916
7. Joey Bradford (United States) 36.224
DNF Maris Strombergs (Latvia)
UCI BMX Supercross Chula Vista – Women’s results
1. Magalie Pottier (France) 36.992
2. Laetitia Le Corguille (France) 37.317
3. Amanda Geving (United States) 37.613
4. Alise Post (United States) 37.875
5. Caroline Buchanan (Australia) 38.209
6. Amanda Carr (United States) 40.135
7. Lauren Reynolds (Australia) 45.31
DNF Brooke Crain (United States)