2013 Burton US Open Slopestyle Semifinals Results
O'Brien and Horgmo in the lead, Anderson and Willet right behind.
Today’s slopestyle semi-finals marked the start of the 31st annual Burton US Open Snowboarding Championships presented by MINI at Vail Mountain. Under bluebird skies at the largest resort in the U.S., the world’s top snowboarders treated spectators to next-level slopestyle riding. Spencer O’Brien (CAN) and Torstein Horgmo (NOR) finished first in the slopestyle semifinals competition and will advance to the US Open slopestyle finals, taking place this Friday, March 1st.
Canadian Spencer O’Brien led the women’s field with her winning run that included a frontside boardslide, MINI wallride to gap to frontsidelipslide, 50-50 frontside 180 out, switch backside 180 mute grab, and a frontside 360 to backside 540 indy grab. Right behind her was Jamie Anderson (USA) in second and Brooke Voigt (CAN) in third. In total, 21 women from 11different countries battled it out on the slopestyle course and the top sixriders will advance to the finals.
On the men’s side, Norwegian Torstein Horgmo took first place with a winning run that included a switch backside 270 on, MINI wallride to switch frontside boardslide 270 out, switch lipslide 270 out, switch backside 900 mute grab, and a frontside double cork 1080 mute grab followed by a huge backside double cork 1080 indy grab. Close behind him was Eric Willett (USA) in second and young-gun Yuki Kadono (JPN) in third. All in all, 42 men from 9 different countries competed, and 12 solidified a coveted spot in the Burton US Open slopestyle finals.
Women’s Slopestyle Semi-Final Results:
1. Spencer O’Brien CAN, NIKE, 75.33
2. Jamie Anderson USA, BILLABONG, 74.88
3. Brooke Voigt CAN, 32 SNOWBOARD BOOTS, 70.08
4. Sarka Pancochova CZE, FLOW, 69.53
5. Christy Prior NZL, BURTON, 63.53
6. Shelly Gotlieb NZL, BURTON, 62.00
Men’s Slopestyle Semi-Final Results:
1. Torstein Horgmo NOR, DC SHOE CO USA, 87.93
2. Eric Willett USA, VANS, 84.26
3. Yuki Kadono JPN, RIDE, 83.88
4. Mark McMorris CAN, BURTON, 83.43
5. Chas Guldemond USA, ROCKSTAR, 81.25
6. Peetu Piiroinen FIN, NIKE, 80.63
7. Maxence Parrot CAN, O’NEILL, 80.28
8. Stale Sandbech NOR, OAKLEY, 80.03
9. Sage Kotsenburg USA, NIKE, 79.28
10. Ryan Stassel USA, BURTON, 77.23
11. Jamie Nicholls GBR, NIKE, 75.03
12. Darcy Sharpe CAN, MONSTER, 74.98
After the Burton US Open, there is only one 6Star event left on the calendar: The Arctic Challenge. It will be in Oslo, Norway, where the final World Snowboard Tour Champions will be determined – the Men’s Halfpipe Champion and the Men’s Overall Champion. The battle for the overall title promises pure excitement, as three-time World Snowboard Tour winner Peetu Piiroinen claims he wants his title back from current Champion Ståle Sandbech. Ståle however will not give up that easily, as he has already lost his Big Air Championship this year by 1.01 point and it motivated him to hang on to the Overall title…
Make sure you catch all the semi final action on redbull.tv this week!