1. Red Bull Reign uses a unique set of rules relying on the gameplay of the FIBA rules. The FIBA 3x3 rules can be found here. All the changements to that are explained as follows.
2. There will be no 21-point maximum. Teams score as many points as they can during the 8 (first round) or 10 minutes (following rounds) game time. All the Games are played with a regular Mens Size 7 Ball.
3. If a team quits during any round all of their previous/future games in that current round will be cancelled. Each team scheduled to compete against them will win by 20:0 points.
4. All teams must sign in 1.5 hours before the tournament starts at the tournament location, in person. No exceptions. Pre-registration at the official registration page of the event (to be determined by each country)
5. Red Bull Reign organizers reserve the right to disqualify any players or team that disrupt(s) the event, as indicated by the designated court monitor or game official.
6. Disruptive behaviour includes: excessive language, physical violence, threats, and uncooperative attitude towards officials and/or court monitors.
7. Teams will consist of at least three and no more than four players each. Only three players can be on the court at any point with one substitute.
8. Players must be 16 years (US = 18) of age or older by the event date.
9. There are no changes to any teams after 10:00 a.m. (determined by country, depending in the time of the tournament start) on the day of the event– all rosters are final at that time.
10. For Qualifiers, the first 24 Teams who enter online will be chosen in a randomly generated bracket. Teams will then be split up into (4) Pools of (6) Teams, randomly determined by Red Bull Reign organizers the previous evening. Teams must register in advance before the beginning of the competition at the page for registration
11. Tournament Advancement:
The tournament organiser has the right to change the tournament format at any point given local circumstances e.g. more or less than 24 teams participating.
Pool Play First Round: 10:30 a.m. (start time determined by country)
The first possession of every game is decided by coin toss. The team that wins the coin toss decides whether it takes the ball or leaves
it, in order to get it in a potential overtime.
Games are 8 minutes long with a running clock. The clock stops only during the final minute of the game. If the game is tied at the end of regulation overtime will be played. The first team to score two points wins.
Top (4) teams from each pool based on most points scored in all 5 games, advance.
ON EACH BASKET, GAME SCHEDULE IS:
10:30 AM: 1 vs. 4
10:40 AM: 2 vs. 5
10:50 AM: 3 vs. 6
11:00 AM: 1 vs. 2
11:10 AM: 3 vs. 4
11:20 AM: 5 vs. 6
11:30 AM: 1 vs. 3
11:40 AM: 6 vs. 2
11:50 AM: 5 vs. 4
12:00 PM: 1 vs. 6
12:10 PM: 5 vs. 3
12:20 PM: 4 vs. 2
12:30 PM: 1 vs. 5
12:40 PM: 4 vs. 6
12:50 PM: 2 vs. 3
Trules apply for each round (if teams in one group come up with the same amount of points after the current round):
a) Head to Head
b) Total Wins / Losses
c) Point Difference Points made / Points allowed (including all 3
d) Point Difference Points made / Points allowed (only between the
teams concerning the advancement)
e) Do or die Freethrows, each Team picks 1 Shooter to shoot 1 do or
die Freethrow, if the Players come up with the same results another Player has to shoot. If all 4 players come up with the same result start all over.
Second Round: approx. 2.5 hours after tournament start
Games are 10 minutes long with a running clock. The clock stops only during the final minute of the game. If the game is tied at the end of regulation overtime will be played. The first team to score two points wins.
Top (2) teams from each pool based on most points scored, advance.
1:30 PM: 1 vs. 2
1:40 PM: 3 vs. 4
1:50 PM: 1 vs. 3
2:00 PM: 2 vs. 4
2:10 PM: 1 vs. 4
2:20 PM: 2 vs. 3
Third Round: approx. 3.5 – 4 hours after tournament start
Games are 10 minutes long with a running clock. The clock stops only in the final minute of the game. If the game is tied at the end of regulation overtime will be played. The first team to score two points wins.
Top Team from each Pool advances to the final
3:00 PM: 1 vs. 2
3:10 PM: 3 vs. 4
3:20 PM: 1 vs. 3
3:30 PM: 2 vs. 4
3:40 PM: 1 vs. 4
3:50 PM: 2 vs. 3
Championship Game: 5-6 hours after tournament start
Final game is played 10 minutes with a running clock. The clock stops only in the final minute of the game. If the game is tied at the end of regulation an overtime will be played. The first team to score two points wins.
Team with the most points wins.
12. The winning team will be qualified for the Red Bull Reign Finals in Washington D.C. Travel and tournament entry will be covered as part of the qualifier prize.
13. Any prizes awarded in connection with the Red Bull Reign tournament as well as each individual’s participating in the tournament is also subject to the Prize and Tournament Guidelines located at ... (determined by country). By participating, you consent to the terms of this Rules Overview and the Prize and Tournament Guidelines.
14. The national winners of each country traveling to Washington DC are allowed to change 1 of their 4 players out of the roster that won the national final.