Check out the second half of our 30 Best Guitarists Under 30 list.
Yesterday, we shared the first 15 guitarists from our 30 Best Guitarists Under 30 list. Read it here. Part two is below.
Jimmy Page. Lita Ford. Jimi Hendrix. Prince. Annie Clark. Sonny Sharrock. Billy Corgan. Thurston Moore. Carrie Brownstein. Jack White. Slash. BB King. Pete Townshend. Marnie Stern. All of these guitarists are amazing – they are legends. But none of them made this list because they are either too old or too dead (RIP).
The guitarists here are under 30 years old. Some of them are household names (or are in bands that are household names), others are unknown. Some play rock music, some do not. Some are virtuosic, others are less concerned about speed and precision, and more into noise or attitude or something else. Some think solos are cool, others think they are passe. But these 30 alive and young guitarists represent The Guitar Right Now.
Ten years ago, a guitar was likely the first instrument people picked up when they made the decision to play an instrument. Now people are reaching for laptops and synths and samplers, and there is nothing wrong with that. These 30 young musicians, however, are carrying the guitar into the future and they deserve your attention.
Will the guitar survive? Will the electric guitar become the next lute? We do not know. In the meantime, these are the 30 Best Guitarists Under 30.
HUNTER HUNT HENDRIX, 28
BRITTANY HOWARD, 25
- Known For: Growling and picking the blues as the singer/guitarist of rock band Alabama Shakes.
- Essential Listening: 'Hold On,' the single from Alabama Shakes' 'Boys & Girls' LP, which was nominated for a Grammy last year for Best Rock Performance.
SARAH LIPSTATE, 29
- Known For: Constructing contemplative, gorgeous mazes of guitar sound that spiral and drone and expand under the name Noveller.
- Essential Listening: 'Almost Alright,' from 'Desert Fires,' the third Noveller full-length.
EZRA KOENIG, 29.
- Known For: Sneaking subtly pretentious, undeniably smart, always cosmopolitan guitar parts into Vampire Weekend songs.
- Essential Listening: The playful solo in 'Oxford Comma,' from Vampire Weekend's first album.
STEVE MARION, 26
- Known For: Making superbly quirky, catchy and anthemic guitar pop as Delicate Steve that will make you feel like a little kid who is forever up to no good.
- Essential Listening: Every song on Delicate Steve's most recent album, 'Positive Force.'
BLAKE MILLS, 26
- Known For: Working as a studio musician with Kid Rock, Weezer, Pink and Lana Del Rey; playing with Jenny Lewis, Dawes, the Strokes' Julian Casablancas, Haim's Danielle Haim; and making his own poppy, bluesy, howling music.
- Essential Listening: 'Hey Lover,' Blake Mills' first single, which features backup vocals by Danielle Haim.
JAKE ORRALL, 27
- Known For: Making Weezer-inspired slacker rock with his brother, Jamin, in JEFF The Brotherhood.
- Essential Listening: The Nashville brothers have seven albums under their belts. Take your pick. The most recent, 'Hypnotic Nights,' was produced by the Black Keys' Dan Auerbach.
MARISSA PATERNOSTER, 27
- Known For: Being the furious singer and lead guitarist of Jersey rockers Screaming Females.
- Essential Listening: That sweet, infectious, screaming riff from 'Wild.'
TY SEGALL, 26
- Known For: Being insanely prolific and making insanely good rock music that is both of the past and of the future.
- Essential Listening: 'Twins,' the heaviest of the three superb albums Ty Segall released last year.