The first-ever Red Bull Youth America's Cup is taking place in San Francisco. Get the latest here...
Ahead of the America's Cup finals, the eyes of the sailing world are on the future of the sport in San Francisco this week for the inaugural edition of the Red Bull Youth America’s Cup.
After the second day of racing of the AC45s on Monday, NZL Sailing Team with Emirates Team New Zealand and American Youth Sailing Force are tied for the overall lead.
Each crew is composed of six sailors, aged 19-24, who man the 45-foot-long catamarans, with the 10-team, 8-country fleet race having delivered highly competitive racing. Four different countries – the USA, New Zealand, Portugal and Sweden – have taken the checkered flag in the regatta's four fleet races so far.
With four races down and just four to go over the next two days, the top seven teams are separated by just three points, with double points on the line in the final race as the teams go all out.
“We’re surprised to be in the lead, but happy to be there and looking forward to getting back out tomorrow,” said NZL Sailing Team skipper Peter Burling, a silver medalist in the 49er class at the 2012 Olympics. “We didn’t have a great start to the day but got an alright finish on the board in the second race to bring us back into it. I think it’ll come down to the last day anyway, so we’re trying to build as a group and looking forward to each day as it comes.”
Red Bull Youth America’s Cup – Provisional Standings
1. NZL Sailing Team with Emirates Team New Zealand (NZL) 2-4-7-3 – 28 points
2. American Youth Sailing Force (USA) 1-7-3-5 – 28 points
3. Team TILT (SUI) 8-5-2-2 – 27 points
4. Swedish Youth Challenge (SWE) 6-2-9-1 – 26 points
5. Full Metal Jacket Racing (NZL) 7-1-4-6 – 26 points
6. ROFF/Cascais Sailing Team (POR) 3-6-1-8 – 26 points
7. Next World Energy (FRA) 4-3-8-4 – 25 points
8. All In Racing (GER) 5-8-5-9 – 17 points
9. Objective Australia (AUS) RDG-10-6-10 – 9.3 points
10. USA45 Racing (USA) 9-9-10-7 – 9 points
(RDG = redress awarded by International Jury)