21 brilliant moments from Notting Hill Carnival 2019
It's the biggest – and the best – street party in Europe, and this year's Carnival was a total scorcher. Relive some of the best moments of the weekend here.
On August Bank Holiday, Notting Hill Carnival took over the streets of west London for a weekend of sun-soaked partying, in celebration of the city's Caribbean communities and heritage. Here's a round-up of just some of the innumerable highlights from the weekend – and what went down at the Red Bull Music Sound System.
1. Mangrove were crowned winners of Saturday's UK National Steelband Panorama
Mangrove retained their title as Champions of Steel for the tenth time with their performance of Savannah Grass – kicking off the Carnival festivities in sweet, steely style.
2. Then J'ouvert kicked off Notting Hill Carnival bright and early
Carnival festivities really got going at sunrise on Sunday for J'ouvert with paint, chocolate and a whole lot of celebration.
3. The sun was blazing all weekend long
With temperatures topping 30 degrees over the whole Bank Holiday, Notting Hill Carnival 2019 was a total scorcher.
4. And Jodian Natty turned up the heat even more
The midday sun is already at full force by the time Jodian Natty took to the Red Bull Music Sound System on Sunday 25, but she managed to ramp up the centigrades further with her opening track, Put It on Me, and a hair-raising performance with her dance partner. Did someone say it’s getting hot here?
Listen to her set on Red Bull Radio in the player below:
5. Sneakbo arrived to the party undercover
The South London artist has been one of the best in the game for almost a decade, but you might not have recognised him as he made his way through Carnival and onto to the Sound System stage with a new hair do. After the big reveal, he whirled through tracks like Mariah and Ain’t On Nuttin’ with the crowd recording his every move.
6. Alicai Harley and Tony Matterhorn's Hot Shots After Dark Sound System popped off
When two of dancehall’s biggest and brightest names get together, namely the esteemed Jamaican selector Tony Matterhorn and fast-rising star Alicai Harley, it goes off. Their new joint, project, the Hot Shots After-Dark Sound System, was electric. Matterhorn’s Goodas Fi Dem, Harley’s Proper Paper and a rework of Lauryn Hill’s Doo Wop (That Thing) gave life back to any weary legs from a long and sweaty afternoon.
7. And the dancers brought the energy
They're not called #Energysquad for nothing.
8. Aba Shanti-I pumped out dub and roots from his iconic sound system
He's been a resident sound system at Carnival since 1993.
9. Channel One Sound System celebrated 40 years in their same Notting Hill spot
They've been blasting out reggae from the corner of Leamington Road Villas and Westbourne Park Road since '79.
10. Spice teaches this guy how to whine
Bringing a next-level energy to the Red Bull Music Sound System stage with tracks like Romantic Mood and So Mi Like It, Spice calls out two lucky fellas from the crowd and asks, "do you know how to whine? I'm going to teach you."
Listen to an hour of bashment bangers courtesy of Lil C, live from Carnival 2019
11. Yxng Bane helped cool the crowd down a touch
When Gucci Mane came blasting through the speakers, he popped open a bottle of something expensive-looking and sprayed it over the crowd.
Listen to Yxng Bane's set in the player below:
12. And even brought his dog along
Bane's special guest.
13. The costumes were on point as ever
The Notting Hill streets were filled with revellers dressed up to play mas.
14. And the "King of Calypso" Lord Kitchener also made an appearance
Local celebrity Bubbles honours the Trinidadian Calypsonian – who arrived to the UK on the Empire Windrush in 1948.
15. Then there was food – and lots of it
Not only is Carnival filled with sounds – but the incredible smell of all the street food stalls. Curried goat, jerk chicken, plantain, the list goes on...
16. Which was fuel for all that dancing
They've got the moves.
Listen to Tiffany Calver's set from the Red Bull Music Sound System in the player below:
17. On Monday, the Mangrove truck joined the procession route
They celebrated their 51st year this year with an Aqua theme.
18. Pop star Leigh-Anne Pinnock was on board
The Little Mix singer joined in with the Mangrove crew.
19. Nailah Blackman painted the procession purple
The Trinidadian singer/songwriter performed hits like Badishh and Iron Love on the Mangrove truck.
20. And Swappi also flew in to the party
The Soca star played all his hits in the late-afternoon sun.
21. The final day was wrapped up with a gorgeous sunset
Notting Hill Carnival, you were amazing. Only 360-something days to go to 2020!