F1Single seater racing

Red Bull Racing switch to Honda from 2019

© Charles Coates/Getty Images
Written by Will Douglas
Aston Martin Red Bull Racing have reached an agreement to use Honda engines for the 2019 and 2020 Formula One seasons.
Japanese engine manufacturer Honda will replace Renault as the power behind Red Bull Racing's F1 championship campaigns after 12 hugely successful years with Renault. The team will continue to race under the name of Aston Martin Red Bull Racing.
Speaking at the announcement of the deal, Team Principal Christian Horner said: "This multi-year agreement with Honda signals the start of an exciting new phase in Aston Martin Red Bull Racing’s efforts to compete not just for grand prix wins but for what is always our goal – championship titles.
Red Bull Racing Team Principal Christian Horner looks on before the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix at Circuit de Monaco on May 27, 2018 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco.
Christian Horner at the 2018 Monaco Grand Prix
"We have always taken decisions such as this dispassionately and with only one criterion in mind – do we believe the outcome will allow us to compete at a higher level? After careful consideration and evaluation we are certain this partnership with Honda is the right direction for the team."
Takahiro Hachigo, President and Representative Director of Honda Motor Co Ltd said: "Having established a good relationship with Scuderia Toro Rosso, we have decided to extend our Formula One involvement to the other team in the Red Bull family, Aston Martin Red Bull Racing, from the 2019 season. Having two teams means we can access twice as much data as previously. We believe that working with both Toro Rosso and Red Bull Racing will allow us to get closer to our goal of winning races and championships, building two strong partnerships."
Race winner Daniel Ricciardo of Australia and Red Bull Racing celebrates on his car in parc ferme during the Monaco Formula One Grand Prix at Circuit de Monaco on May 27, 2018 in Monte-Carlo, Monaco.
Daniel Ricciardo celebrates in Monaco
This new deal means that the team's hugely successful 12-year link-up with Renault will come to an end at the close of the current season. Since their first Renault-powered race back in 2007, the partnership garnered four drivers' title, four manufacturers' titles, plus a total of 57 grand prix victories and counting.
Reflecting on the team's Renault era, Horner commented: "We would like to thank Renault for the past 12 years, a period during which we experienced some incredible moments together. We have sometimes had our differences, but Renault have always worked tirelessly and to the best of their ability to provide us with a competitive power unit. That is still the case today and we would like to thank the Renault team, and particularly the guys in our garage at every race, for their unstinting commitment, and we look forward to ending our partnership on a high, come the end of this season. Our focus for the rest of this year is still very much on delivering the best results possible in the 2018 championship and we wish Renault Sport all the best for the future."