This is the 2019 UCI MTB World Cup Calendar
© Bartek Woliński
The 2019 UCI MTB World Cup dates and venues have been released. Read on for all the news on an extra round of competition for the downhillers, as well as a new venue.
With the sun setting on an exhilarating 2018 UCI World Cup season, it's time to look forward to another great year of racing in 2019, because the UCI have finally confirmed the dates and locations for next season. With it being an Olympic year in 2020, the UCI has been quick to firm the calender up for that year, too.
Something old, something new for downhill in 2019
For 2019, the MTB World Cup extends to eight locations for the downhillers. This includes a new location in the United States, with the introduction of a round in Snowshoe, West Virginia, where the cross-country classes will also be racing. The XCO World Cup sticks to seven rounds for 2019 however.
These are the 2019 Mercedes-Benz UCI MTB World Cup locations
A couple of much loved old venues make a return in the shape of Maribor in Slovenia and France's Les Gets. Maribor, which is a downhill only round, has the honour of kicking off the 2019 season. It last appeared on the World Cup calendar in 2010. Les Gets will be a dual round, featuring both downhill and cross-country. The French venue's last appearance on the World Cup schedule was 2002, though it held a World Championships in 2004
The UCI MTB World Championships will take place in Mont-Sainte-Anne, but won't be the season-ending race for either DH or XCO disciplines. The new World Cup round at Snowshoe in the United States will be the last race of the season, a week later.
2019 UCI World Cup and World Championships calendar
- April 27–28: (DH) Maribor, Slovenia
- May 18– 19: (XCO/XCC) Albstadt, Germany
- May 25–26: (XCO/XCC) Nové Mesto, Czech Republic
- June 1–2: (DH) Fort William, Scotland
- June 8–9: (DH) Leogang, Austria
- July 6–7: (DH/XCO/XCC) Vallnord, Andorra
- July 13–14: (XCO/XCC/DH) Les Gets, France
- August 3–4: (XCO/XCC/DH) Val di Sole, Italy
- August 10–11: (XCO/XCC/DH) Lenzerheide, Switzerland
- August 31 – September 1: UCI MTB World Championships – Mont-Sainte-Anne, Canada
- September 7–8: (XCO/XCC/DH) Snowshoe, United States
What's in store for 2020?
With 2020 being an Olympic year for the XCO elite, the World Cup calendar won't follow its usual pattern. Some of the racing at established venues takes place at different times in the year than previously the norm. The start of the season is downhill heavy, with three rounds of downhill-only events taking place before the first cross-country race in Nové Mesto in late May.
The first race for the downhillers is at another new venue, with Lousã in Portugal hosting. Lousã is routinely used by the DH teams and suspension firms for testing and will be a popular choice of venue among many of the riders and teams. Maribor also retains its spot from 2019, while Croatia's Lošinj returns to the calendar for the downhillers following its absence in 2019.
As in 2016, the World Championships will be split by discipline due to the Olympic cycle. The XCO World Championships take place in Albstadt, Germany, in late June, with the downhill World Championships taking place in Leogang, in early September.
The Olympics also mean that there'll be only six rounds of the XCO World Cup. The downhillers will continue with eight events in 2019. The last race of the season for both disciplines is Les Gets in late September.
2020 UCI World Cup and World Championships calendar
- March 21–22: (DH) Lousã, Portugal
- May 2–3: (DH) Maribor, Slovenia
- May 9–10: (DH) Lošinj, Croatia
- May 23–24: (XCO/XCC) Nové Mesto, Czech Republic
- June 6–7: (DH) Fort William, Scotland
- June 20–21: (DH/XCO/XCC) Vallnord, Andorra
- June 26–28: UCI MTB XCO World Championships – Albstadt, Germany
- August 15–16: (XCO/XCC) Lenzerheide, Switzerland
- August 22–23: (DH/XCO/XCC) Mont-Sainte-Anne, Canada
- September 5–6: UCI MTB DH World Championships - Leogang, Austria
- September 12–13: (DH/XCO/XCC) Val di Sole, Italy
- September 19–20: (DH/XCO/XCC) Les Gets, France